Tuesday, October 2, 2012

October!


How much more cliche can a blogpost get than by starting off with: "I can't believe it's October!"  Well, by doing this:  "I can't believe it's October, the leaves are so pretty!"  But cliches are cliches for a reason: They are generally, most of the time (if not all of the time) very true. Now it's time to start the blog:

I can't believe it's October, the leaves are so pretty!
October means Halloween.  Halloween means candy.  Halloween Candy means pumpkin shaped Reeses.  Pumpkin shaped Reeses mean YUM. 
Probably the most said sentence over the past three days has been "Those leaves are POPPIN!"  This is a picture from just outside the foxstop, a yummy place near where we are staying.

The biggest event from the past couple days was either the Reception we had for the SMS T2 team, or tieing Skyler in the leaf catching competition during or run yesterday.  Or also maybe seeing a moose literally 20 seconds into our run.  That's right.  A moose.

The Reception:  Before the reception we had a trip down to Putney to meet Zach and work on some ski grinds (or rather go down there and have him tell me what I need for my skis, but it was a learning experience for sure).  He also made us some coffee, which was SO good, but it was so dark and so extremely loaded with caffeine that I was just jumpy for awhile.  But I recovered from the imminent caffeine crash just in time for the reception!
The whole squad minus Jessie, who is at home (actually I think she's in park city now).  We can't wait to get back and see her!  This picture makes me giggle every time, just because it looks sort of like one of those awkward family photos.  I can elaborate on the family tree I've created for the team at some other point :)

Erika, Soph, and I.
The reception went off without a hitch, and it was a very nice way to spend some time inside instead of out in the pouring rain.

This was a little distance skate we did over in New York awhile ago.  It was literally pouring the entire time that day.  I was still recovering from some tiredness slash sickness so I cut it a little short. In fact all of last week I took it pretty easy.  But Soph and I did bench 100 pounds.  And do weighted pull ups, whoaaaaaaa.  Jacked (or getting there anyways).
Oh yeah, it has rained every day for the past forever it seems.  That made our run yesterday SO SO wet.  According to Skyler during the run we looked like swamp monsters.  But I was a swamp monster who caught just as many leaves as he did.  The competition started about 20 minutes into the 2 hour run when Skyler started trying to catch the leaves, to no success for awhile.  Then I caught one.  Then he caught one.  Then Erika caught none, but then Skyler and I kept on catching them.  It became a pretty intense battle.  I was behind one leaf for awhile, but then with about 23 minutes remaining I caught one to tie it up.  Then I was on pure defense mode, I would rather tie than lose.  Skyler, however, is sort of hard to play defense on only because he is like a foot taller than me.  We sprinted (or threshold ran, whatever) the last 3 minutes in a fruitless effort to catch one more leaf and win, but the battle ended in a tie.

At least we had the opportunity to partake in the game, which wasn't necessarily a given seeing as a HUGE moose showed up 20 seconds into our run.  Andy was convinced he was a friendly guy, Erika, Skyler and I thought otherwise.  As mentioned earlier, due to Skyler's larger frame, Erika and I were using him as a shield (sorry Skyler).

I think he forgave us though, probably because of the two baked goods we have whipped out of the apartment the past couple days:
Raspberry Oat Scones
Cinnamon rolls
And now I need to go get ready for a Level 3 time trial.  Yeah a time trial that you have to stay in level 3 the whole time for.  This will likely not be my speciality, as my typical style is going out hard and just trying to hold on.  But it will be good practice for sure.  Oh, and I suggest the movie the looper.  We saw that in Manchester yesterday afternoon, and holy buckets.

hugz and kissez

No comments: