Thursday, September 6, 2012

First Figs!

Today was a great day of firsts.  The first time I made french toast without mom, the first time I got the pleasure of taking Jessie shopping, the first time I actually stretched without it being associated with a workout (hi Gus), and probably most exciting, the first time I baked with figs!

First things first however--a brief recap of the last couple days (which coincidentally had some firsts in them as well!)  It was my first time doing ski walking intervals with the lovely ladies of the SMST2 team, and they actually weren't that terrible!  We were supposed to keep them pretty easy given the 100K ski that we had just completed (woof), and it sort of felt like a harry potter world because of all the mist that was covering Stratton.  Then it was our first time doing the new strength plan!  The day before Gus had asked us if we were planning to walk or sit the next day, and when we gave him a questioning look and said "yeah," he laughed and said too bad that wasn't going to happen because we were going to be too sore.  The strength was pretty hard, but being the first day we didn't do the full weights so we were able to sit and lay down.

This morning I managed to sleep in until 8:24, which is a big deal because my roommate and I, Erika, have been having some serious troubles sleeping past like 7.  Which is a pain.  Either way, I slept till 8:24, and because we had an off day we decided to make some brunch!  Below is a photo that Sophie took of the delectable meal: French Toast with bacon and chobani (told you we eat a lot of it!) and peaches and some real maple syrup (which Jessie ate even though it wasn't hungry jack).  That was super yummy.


       A wonderful picture Sophie took of our lovely brunch.  SO GOOD SO YUMMY



                                     Erika got a little excited

After we cleaned up from Brunch, Erika Soph and I walked down to the school (a whopping 20 minutes) and did some stretches.  Soph has some really tight hamstrings which makes her back a little sore, so she is working hard on becoming more flexible.  Then we walked back (again a blistering 20 minutes), and got ready for a big day of shopping in Manchester.  Jessie keeps saying how she needs to buy regular clothes (she has an affinity for the workout clothing, which she totally rocks regardless), so we went into Manchester with that mission.  But first we stopped at the North shire book store for lunch.  They have AMAZING chicken curry salad, which is just AMAZING.  But then we went to my favorite store, JCrew.

If I could live in one store for the rest of my life, I'm pretty sure it would be JCrew, or Nike, its really a toss up.  But for this blogpost I'm going with JCrew.  Everything in that store is beautiful and stunning and I wish I could have all of it.  And the one in Manchester is an outlet store...so everything is cheaper which makes it doubly exciting. Jessie didn't end up getting anything at that store, but Erika, Soph and I all left with some purchases.

AFter getting nothing at JCrew, Jessie had some success at the Gap and at Banana Republic.  She got a SUPER cute dress, and a really nice shirt that is very versatile. Jessie is taking a class right now, so she had to go study,  so Soph and I went grocery shopping.  One of the great places in Manchester is this little fresh market, duttons, with all sorts of good produce.  At duttons there was a picture of a goat named Sweet Sophia, and that was so crazy because Sophie's spirit animal is a goat.  So obviously that trip was meant to be.
                                          Sophie's alter ego

At this point I was hungry (what's new), and luckily it was time for dinner at SMS, and the cooks there have been killing it.  The food is amazing, but the only problem is they don't have dessert.  Dessert is more or less a food group for me, so we have been doing lots of baking at night.  This night we made Fig bars, which is something I've never done before.  Figs are Soph's favorite (besides Jelly Beans, but I have yet to figure out how those might work in a cookie or bar...), so Erika and I whipped up a batch of those which are cooling on the counter right now!  They smell AMAZING, and here is the recipe. http://www.ellesnewenglandkitchen.com/blog/2010/9/13/fig-nut-bars.html

Me pouring the fig "paste" onto the butter-sugar-oatmeal base, then adding the top layer of the butter-sugar-oatmeal.  GET IN MY BELLY.  

And Now I'm impatiently waiting for the bars to cool, because otherwise they would totally fall apart.  The next blog will report on their overall quality (which I expect be high) and also a finished picture! Alright well tomorrow we have Yoga in the morning (namaste) and then the double pole test in the afternoon, which will be another first!  I'm super pumped to be here and wouldn't have it any other way!

Until next time,

Hugz and Kissez

Oh and here is a picture of an apple-cinnamon muffin I made earlier in the week.  They were also quite delicious.  Have I mentioned I like (love) muffins?

No comments: